Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Over fifty, fat and frumpy

Yep, that's me. Now people say "oh, you're not fat" and I say "thanks" and go about my business. But I'm here to say I have too much fat on my body. The jury is still out about the "healthy" fat but I am not healthy. I used to be in good shape. Once when I weighed 135 lbs I thought I was fat but I wasn't in good shape then either. Once when I weighed 145 I was in great shape and felt good about it. But now that I've accumulated 50 lbs on top of that over the last 10yrs it's time to own it. I'm fat. 

So, what am I gonna do about it? Well, I'm gonna get in shape. Usually I am lazy with the workouts. Once a week for a few weeks and then I lose interest. For some stupid reason getting in shape and being healthy has not been motivation enough for me to get healthy again. But I am a goal oriented and a to-do list person. I've made my "getting healthy" goal into a to-do list with a goal at the end, something to work towards that has a tangible reward. What is that goal? To weigh a certain amount? No. To be able to do 30 squats without breaking down and crying for momma? No. To wear size 10 jeans again? No. To wear shorts that don't look like something gramma would wear to the senior center? No, well, maybe yes. Either way I want something. I want a medal around my neck. A medal I can hang on my "me" wall along with my degrees, diplomas and pictures of my family. 
"How do you get a medal for getting into shape?" you ask.  Let me tell you.

I am going to swim for 450 meters, ride a bike for about 12 miles and then run (or in my case, power walk due to knee issues) for 3 miles. When I cross the finish line of that triathlon I will have reached my goal. TRIATHLON? you say. How does someone fat, over fifty and not an athlete do this? VERY carefully. I've google training programs and have read enough personal victory stories, I know I can do it. I walked and ran a half marathon once before when I set my mind to it. Why not this? 

So what does triathlon training and fat have in common? Not much and that is my point. By training, I hope to lose some fat, find some muscles under it and get in shape. Getting in shape is a side affect of training. I'm not focusing on the weight or the fat loss but instead I'm going to focus on gaining strength and endurance. Fortunately I have a rec center membership with a pool so I can start my swim training, a friend who is willing to help coach my stroke style, a beau who is willing to go on bike rides with me and give me the support I need. 

The best thing I can get out of this is to stop calling myself the old fat lady. Oh, and a medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment